Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 05:00:16 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Howard Leadmon <howard@leadmon.net>
Subject:   Re: Updating from 9.2 to 10.0-BETA3 Issues..

>   I figured I would setup a test system and get my feet wet with trying to
> move from 9.2 to the current 10 that I know will be an official version
> soon.    So I took my 9.2 system, and as I use svn to update my sources, I
> then replaced the /usr/src tree with the stable/10 branch, and went on to
> build world, kernels, and through the recommended way to update to the new
> branch.

>  This all for the most part went very well, I got 10 built, I did the
> install, went to single user, updated all files, and rebooted and happy day
> here I am running 10.0.  The problem stated when I went back per the
> documents, and ran the delete-old-libs, though the OS boots, now all kinda
> stuff is broken!  I thought no problem, let's rebuild the ports tree again,
> as I didn't realize some of the stuff ended up in the newer package formats,
> so had stuff that was missed.

>  Now trying to rebuild stuff like for example, mysql, I get errors like the
> following:

> ===>   mysql56-client-5.6.14 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/cmake - found
> ===>  Configuring for mysql56-client-5.6.14
> ===>  Performing in-source build
> /bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client/work/mysql-5.6.14
> Shared object "libmd.so.5" not found, required by "cmake"
> *** Error code 1

> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client
> [root@drazi /usr/ports/databases/mysql56-client]#

>  So I went back again, make sure I fully did a buildworld, and installed it,
> thinking maybe some libs got wacked, but alas that didn't fix anything.

>  So the question is, if I am updating from 9.2 to 10.0 on a machine, how the
> heck can I get all of the extra software to build, as I can't get really
> much of anything to build at this point, be it mysql, or subversion, or any
> of the add-on packages to make the server useful.   Glad I tried this on a
> test machine..

>  Any ideas/suggestions on how to get this straight?

---
> Howard Leadmon

You are advised to rebuild all ports on a major version change such as 9.x to 10.x.

"man portmaster" has a suggested method:

     Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports:
           1. portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list
           2. Update your ports tree
           3. portmaster -ty --clean-distfiles
           4. portmaster --check-port-dbdir
           5. portmaster -Faf
           6. pkg_delete -a
           7. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
           8. Back up any files in /usr/local you wish to save,
              such as configuration files in /usr/local/etc
           9. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
              to make sure that they are really empty
           10. Re-install portmaster
           11. portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`

     You probably want to use the -D option for the installation and then run
     --clean-distfiles [-y] again when you are done.  You might also want to
     consider using the --force-config option when installing the new ports.

     Alternatively you could use portmaster -a -f -D to do an ``in place''
     update of your ports.  If that process is interrupted for any reason you
     can use portmaster -a -f -D -R to avoid rebuilding ports already rebuilt
     on previous runs.  However the first method (delete everything and rein-
     stall) is preferred.

You will want to be sure to install ports-mgmt/pkg and ports-mgmt/portmaster at the start of rebuilding all ports.

FreeBSD has switched from pkgtools to pkgng, on by default in FreeBSD 10.0, hence the need for ports-mgmt/pkg.

Tom