Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:48:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jason Phillips <japhill6@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

The released versions of FreeBSD (SNAPs, ALPHAs, BETAs, RELEASEs) is
always at

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

floppies are in .../x.y.z-RELEASE/floppies/.

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Jason Phillips wrote:

> I have finally got freebsd on my system.  the Christmas is complete. but
> when it says login and password, I have none.  I tried to specify a log in a
> the configurations place where it said add new users.  it said couldn't open
> "pw" stopped at 99.  Or something similar.  how does one specify the login:
> and
> Password:  ?

login as 'root', no password.  Then run 'adduser' and make an account for
yourself.  Then use the 'passwd' command and give root a password.
Logout, then login as yourself.  Anytime you need superuser access, run
'su' and enter the root password when prompted.  Type 'exit' to get back
to your account.

See the tutorials on http://www.freebsd.org in documentation -> tutorials,
especially the new user tutorial.