Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 22:15:22 -0700
From:      "adam palitz" <adampalitz@earthlink.net>
To:        "free bsd questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Maybe I need a more interesting title for an answer? ...or just more patience?

    I am trying to configure my NIC. I have tried manualy altering the
network settings using ifconfig,
and I have also tried to use sysinstall...both ways I have met with failure.

On startup my kernel gives me this:

dc0 <asix ax88141 10/100> port ...irq 12
dc0 ethernet address ...
dc0 MII without any PHY <------------what is this and is it significant?
device_probe_and_attach:dc0
        attach returned 6

the device "dc0" is not present in my dev dir, neither is ed0 or anything
else that looks similar to a NIC...Why?
when I use ifconfig dc0 ...it says device isn't found...why?
when I try to run /stand/sysinstall it refuses to run...why?

thanks for the info
adam