Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 17:29:32 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        deasey@server1.netpath.net (Geoffrey Deasey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: streams

Geoffrey Deasey stands accused of saying:

> I asked W Richard Stevens why some of the programs in his book
> Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment won't compile and he
> said that Linux does not have streams.  I was not sure what he meant
> by that, so does FreeBSD have streams in the same sence of the word ?

No, 'streams' is a SysV thing.  You'll notice that he goes to considerable
lengths to explain the differences between BSD and SysV-style operating
systems, and to point out that only the latter has 'streams'.

> How about threads, :)

There's a pile of threading stuff coming to FreeBSD RSN.

>    Jeff

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[