Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:13:56 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PERL_THREAD

Recently we upgraded one of our production servers running 4.3-STABLE
to RELENG_4 due to recent security fixes; downgrading to RELENG_4_3
seemed not be necessary :(

This server uses OpenLink's (http://www.openlinksw.com) UDBC library libudbc
which uses pthreads. Our applications are perl programs that use
DBD::ODBC linked with libudbc so threaded perl is required.
After upgrade this service is completely broken.

We found this:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1269673+1271652+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/cvs-all/20010603.cvs-all

So, there is two questions:

1. When PERL_THREAD be revived?
2. Why such serious change of functionality was done nearly silent?

Now we have solution of downgrading to RELENG_4_3 but what will be in the
near future when RELENG_4_4 will be forked from RELENG_4_4_RELEASE if latter
won't support PERL_THREAD?

Eugene Grosbein.