Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 09:40:10 -0700
From:      leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net
To:        Dmitry Sarkisov <ait.mlist@gmail.com>, leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to install wireless n.i.c. on FreeBSD 9.1

Dear Mr. Sarkisov,

Greetings. Thank you for your response to my inquiry. Yours truly, Lee

On 08/22/2014 01:51 PM, Dmitry Sarkisov wrote:

> On 22-08-2014, Fri [12:00:47], leeoliveshackelford@surewest.netwrote:
>
>> Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiasts. I am attempting to install a wireless network interface circuit on a computer running FreeBSD 9.1. I have read the very thorough instructions written by Messrs. Marc Fonvielle and Murray Stokely in the currently posted Chapter 30 of the FreeBSD Handbook. I did not find in that chapter a specification of the version or versions of FreeBSD to which it applied. The circuit board is manufactured by T-LInk, and uses an Atheros integrated circuit I have followed as closely as possible those instuctions, to no avail. The printed circuit board is located at slot 4. About it, dmesg.boot reads only the following: pci40: <network> at device 0.0 (no driver attached). My interpretation of this message is that the operating system sees that there is a circuit board in slot 4, and that it has something to do with networking, and otherwise knows nothing about it. I have checked the /dev directory, and find listed in it none of the driver files menti
 oned in
Chapter 30. I had expected to receive error messages for lines in the configuration files calling for driver files that could not be located, but the only error message generated was "SYNCDHCP not found." This line does not occur in dmesg.boot, but in response to the command (I forgot which command). How do I obtain and install the missing driver files? Why does the fact that they are missing not generate error notices? Any and all comments are appreciated. If these questions have already been answered many times before, please do not flame me. Just let me know where I should have looked for the answers. Thank you. Lee