Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:14:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix vs. Sendmail

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> What do you mean by "installation was trashed"?  I'm willing to
> believe that a jump from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.2-STABLE would involve
> changes that would make the binary not work. If so, then your problem
> was seeijnt NO_SENDMAIL in the first place.
>
> If, on the other hand, the configuration files in /etc were trashed,
> that's a different matter. Those are *not* built or installed by
> buildworld/installworld/world.  If you say how you updated the stuff
> in /etc, we can diagnose the problem, and tell you what you did wrong,
> or finger the bug that caused the problem so it can be fixed.

You are correct. The problem is that I set NO_SENDMAIL=true...

I installed Sendmail 8.10.1 by hand when I installed FreeBSD
4.0-RELEASE. After I cvsupped new sources and did a make world, I
was running Sendmail 8.9.3! This confused me, as I assumed that
setting NO_SENDMAIL=true would prevent 'make world' from building
or installing Sendmail. I thought I could just build a new sendmail.cf
and get back up to speed, but m4 wanted to build V9 config files,
and Sendmail 8.9.3 only understands V8.

Of course, I later remembered that STABLE now has Sendmail 8.11.x, so
clearly the NO_SENDMAIL=true was not being ignored.

So my current theory is that the Sendmail that was installed was
the same Sendmail from the initial 4.0-RELEASE. *Something* in the
upgrade trashed Sendmail 8.10.1, and I haven't really been able to
figure out what.

Anyway, Postfix was *very* easy to install. Probably quicker than
restoring Sendmail from tape.

----
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105
www.northernbrewer.com