Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:48:31 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crt0.o (was) Re: Huzzah!

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I'm also going to keep a log of that flags/things have to be passed to
> what, to actually bootstrap the sparc devel on i386.
>
> Do you have any other guidelines that i might follow to make a better port
> and avoid pitfalls? (ie. keeping logs and diffs)

I've been attempting to build a cross-development tree with binutils
2.9.1 and egcs-1.1b, Greg Lehey gave me a poke about this.  I didn't
realize the sparc64 code was in such bad shape.  Ugh, what a mess!

I think I've got it building now; I'll keep track of what I had to
symlink, copy, and change if it actually works.

> I kinda think setting up a single user cvs tree is overkill at the moment
> :) any suggestions?

Do it anyhow.  It  only takes a few minutes, and you can then share
what you have with everyone else through pserver.

> I need to find some docs or trace through some code to understand the ABI
> of sparc-elf (ie. which registers are temporary, arguments, globals,
> reserved)  Working on it...

Looking at the NetBSD code would be helpful on this.  There is no good
reason to differ from them; this will help our future NetBSD/OpenBSD
portability.

SPARC registers are really different from the Intel world.  ;^)