Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:29:57 -0800
From:      Kevin Bailey <someone@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        marcel@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux_devtools port doesn't install

When I try to install the linux_devtools port, it fails
with this output:

% make install
===>  Installing for linux_devtools-6.1
===>   linux_devtools-6.1 depends on file: /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release -
found
kernel-headers-2.2.12-20.i386.rpm
failed dependencies:
        /bin/sh   is needed by kernel-headers-2.2.12-20
*** Error code 1

I believe the problem is that its using /usr/local/bin/rpm
when it should be using /compat/linux/bin/rpm (because
only the latter knows what has already been installed under
/compat/linux, AFAIK.) Replacing all the rpm's in the
Makefile with /compat/linux/bin/rpm makes it work so
the theory would seem to be correct. I guess another
approach would be to temporarily prepend /compat/linux/bin
to the PATH.

If I've earned my gold star, could I get the answer to
another question ? When building source based rpms
(e.g. rpm --rebuild some-i386-src.rpm), what should
my PATH be set to, { /bin:/usr/bin } or
{ /compat/linux/bin:/compat/linux/usr/bin } or
a combination of the two ?

Thanks much,
/krb