Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:49:21 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hw.pci.enable_io_modes default value.

On (2002/09/01 19:12), Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> I had "freeze at boot" problem with my laptop and -CURRENT:

> I found the solution: setting hw.pci.enable_io_modes to 0.
> So I have a question: that sysctl has to be =1 by default? I mean if I
> have that issue with it and my laptop, maybe I'll not be the only one
> with that problem.
>
> Well I'm sure there is a good reason for that default setting. Perhaps
> we could write somewhere that setting may lead to hangs with some
> hardware :)

Don't be too sure. :-)

revision 1.194
date: 2002/07/26 07:58:16;  author: imp;  state: Exp;  lines: +36 -21
Make PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES a sysctl hw.pci.enable_io_modes.  It can also
be set at boot time.  It defaults to 1 now since it can be set in the
boot loader.  If this proves unwise, we can reset it to defaulting to 0.

If enough people have trouble with this default, we might want to set it
to 0, since

1) We can't please everyone.
2) We should try to please people with working hardware first.

Ciao,
Sheldon.