Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:44:17 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Increasing network performance

I have a few machines in network. I'm using FreeBSD as my NAT/firewall.
The NIC's in the FreeBSD box are 3c509B's. It's a P90 with 32 MB of
RAM, and at least double of swap. Not running any caching/proxy servers,
unless you consider NAT as a proxy.

When exchanging files between my FreeBSD box and others on the
network, and no Internet traffic, at maximum I've seen ~ 250 KB/s
(not quite 2 Mb/s) transfer rates. When I get Internet traffic, the transfer
rate goes way down if I also try to transfer files, and I get strange
behaviour from the network. Traffic happens in bursts, which seem
usually (but not always) disrupted by collisions, and usually there's
a fairly long pause (a few seconds) before traffic starts again. I would
think part of it has to do with the system being dual-homed, with two
509's, but I'm sure there has to be something to do to improve performance
somehow. Does anyone know where I should look to get my box to
react a little more sanely? If there's anything else you want to know
just ask :)

Thanks!