Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 01:16:45 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        winter@jurai.net
Cc:        danderso@crystalsugar.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 15:49:41 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Dale Anderson wrote:
> > [...] often our job performance is rated on up-time.

Usually by pointy-haired little men with a mean streak :^P

> Won't be using Linux in that case. :)
>
> > For these reasons, we like native applications over "Emulated
> > enviroments."
>
> You guys must hate AS/400s.

That's a pretty good one.  Even the S/38, from which the AS/400 was
derived, was an emulated environment (virtual machine).  DP/MIS/IT folks
loved both but I just couldn't stand RPG.  *blech*

IBM's "secret" systems programming tools weren't that bad though.

> Anyone who brandishes an IT title is more than likely clueless.  Why must
> people continue to reinvforce this again and again?

Most of the IT people I've seen brandishing their titles around Unix
places seem to be the retrained types, mostly from CICS backgrounds
and are often busy porting legacy CICS/COBOL code to Java/CORBA.

Every so often, this subculture decides to change what it calls itself.

Over my career of nearly twenty years it's been:

1. Data Processing                 This period was notable for the
                                   sheer mass of stupid software
                                   which was written to appease
                                   pointy-haired little men with
                                   stupid ideas.

                                   Nobody ever got fired for buying
                                   IBM.

2. Management Information Systems  During this period AI/CASE was
                                   strongly advocated as a silver
                                   bullet to avoid hiring a horde
                                   of programmers to develop even
                                   more stupid programs which were
                                   being demanded by pointy-haired
                                   little men.

                                   This generation was formed by the
                                   replacements for those who got
                                   fired for buying IBM.

                                   Nobody ever got fired for buying
                                   a Vax.

3. Information Technology          This is our current evolutionary
                                   regression.  The current end-all
                                   solution is to write stupid programs
                                   demanded by pointy-haired little
                                   men with stupid ideas exclusively