Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 22:49:46 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@silverback.gorilla.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRUSH after recompile kernel...

> Okay Mike the new commits worked for the boot loader. To get the elf kernel
> to work unattended I had to comment out the options DDB and USERCONFIG_BOOT.
> There's some confusion out there about boot.conf. My /boot.config has the
> '/boot/loader' in it. I don't even know what the /boot/boot.conf is used for
> and there should not be a /boot.conf. Will keep fiddling with it, thanks for
> enabling me to go ELF, all the way.

/boot.config is read by the 'initial' bootstrap, the tool which in turn
loads /boot/loader.  This is transitional; eventually it will be able to
go away.

/boot/boot.conf (whose name may yet change, eg. /boot/loader.rc - no
firm decisions yet) is read as a startup script by the 'loader' program.

It can contain commands for this program; you can get a brief summary
of these by typing '?' at the loader prompt.  More complete help is
still on the whiteboard.