Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:10:31 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: write to file fail

* satkal79@yahoo.com <satkal79@yahoo.com> [20001103 14:02]:
=>Hi,
=>
=>Your comments on the subject was really helpful... i
=>removed some of the unwanted files...and the core
=>files...and now.. no more "write to file fail". Thnx!
=>
=>Yes.. i am running startx , netscape, yahoo messenger
=>under root. I tried logging in to X as a user... but i
=>dont seem to get the GUI as i get when i am a root. No
=>applications available other than the konsole. What
=>can i do to get the same GUI as I get when i am
=>root???
=>
=>Kalai

Sorry pal but I've learnt from this list that it is unwise to run X as
root. You've now learnt that too.
Now my way of running X is to login as another user (other than root) and
run xf86config - answer all questions and have the config file created.
Then for me because I use enlightenment, all I do again is to run
enlightenment.install and the next time I start X enlightenment load as
my GUI.

I've also tried to run afterstep but kind of I had to link the file
/usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment -->afterstep (in the bin directory)

Others may have different views.

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Be not penny-wise; riches have wings, and sometimes they fly away of
themselves; sometimes they must be set flying to bring in more. -Francis Bacon