Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2016 00:07:40 +0100
From:      diffusae <punasipuli@t-online.de>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Hi John,

On 25.11.2016 20:56, John W. Kitz wrote:

> So when doing so the locally administered MAC address is passed on from
> uEnv.txt to the O/S during boot and is then used to override the globally

I didn't think, that it will be passed from the U-Boot Enviroment
settings. You can set the MAC address, but the FreeBSD kernel shows
always the unique MAC address.

> unique MAC address or does the O/S check both the information found in its
> configuration files and what is configured in uEnv.txt before configuring
> and activating the network interface(s)?

Which configuration files do you mean? AFAIK there is only the FDT blob.
I guess it ignores the setting in uEnv.txt.

> Makes me wonder which of the two (i.e. locally administered through uEnv.txt
> or locally administered through the O/S) takes precedence.

Only the unique MAC address and the locally administered MAC address,
will take affect.

> In addition this might affect configuration decisions when one would want to
> configure a device for net booting (at least when browsing through what can
> be configured by means of uEnv.txt I believe that was one of the options I
> saw) through uEnv.txt?

Personally, I like u-boot. It has various options, runs on a lot of
devices and it's also nice to handle.

Best regards,