Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:08:58 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        "Questions @ FreeBSD" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fat Fingered An 'rm -rf' of Important Files

Okay, I know I should pay more attention to what I'm doing, and having
separate partitions isn't an excuse for regular backups. If we can skip
the finger wagging on that part I'd appreciate it.

Here is what happened. I was mounting a thumb drive and I was wanting to
'rm -rf' what was on it (it doesn't matter if I was root or not, I gave
the directories I mount to in /mnt user:usergroup permissions so it
would have happened regardless). Because I was having a conversation
with my wife, balancing my laptop, and trying to do this, I deleted the
contents of /mnt/business (important business documents, journaled
partition) and /mnt/storage (4GB irreplaceable photos, all my music (all
replaceable once I get my super-multi-format (dvd+/-/cd/rw), and other
various files (sermons, notes on sermons, bible study notes, and more),
irreplaceable videos and more all gone (in total about 63GiB of files).

Is there any way to retrieve any of them? I've not wrote any data to
either partition since the accidental deletion. None of my other
filesystems (/ and /usr/local/home/*) were affected by my stupidity.
--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL
http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt