Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 20:19:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Sean T. Lamont   .lost." <zeno@serv.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lamont@abstractsoft.com
Subject:   Re: All-encompassing alias

In the last episode (Oct 23), Sean T. Lamont   .lost. said:
> Can anyone tell me if it's possible to alias a freebsd box to respond
> to ALL IP#'s except its broadcast address?
>
> Why would I want to do this? I want to have a given IP address push
> data off onto a dummy server. Specifically, I want to take suspended
> accounts and drop them on a 'pay us, please' web page instead of the
> one they actually requested. I know precisely how to do this on the
> cisco side with policy routing, but I'm trying to figure out how to
> do this on the host side.  I think this is a similar approach to
> transparent proxying with squid, as well.

You might be able to do this with the "ipfw fwd" command (after adding
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD to your kernel).  Something like

ipfw add fwd <proxyIP>,81 from <deadbeatIP> to any 80
ipfw add fwd <proxyIP>,82 from <deadbeatIP> to any

should intercept any outgoing connections from deadbeatIP. Then put
your "your account is overdrawn" page on the web server on port 81, and
a generic script that simply echos a text message on port 82.  At least
that's how I think it'd work.  Never tried it.

Why not just disable the users account and explain their money problem
when they call to complain about their service being cut off? :)

	-Dan