Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:47:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        david.robert@mail.dotcom.fr (David ROBERT)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with dummynet

> I use dummynet to limit ftp transferts bandwith :
>
> # Une bp de 50kbits/s
> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 50Kbit/s
>
> # Filtrage du ftp
> ipfw add pipe 1 tcp from any 20 to any
> ipfw add pipe 1 udp from any 20 to any
>
> 50Kbits/s is pretty slow but I use LL at 64Kbit/s.
>
> It works, not as good as I wish because when I look
> how me file (using ftp) is tranmitted (hash fonctionnality
> of any ftp client), it looks like my file is uploaded
> using big blocks of data with a delay between. So even if

it depends on the MTU of your interface. if it is 1500 bytes as usually
is, you have these 12000 bits packets to flush (0.2s) and telnet looks
slow. You'd have to reduce the mtu to 576 or so to get better
interactive performance.

> the file takes more time to be uploaded, my telnet session are
> slow. Maybe I should use the buffer functionnality, but I don't
> understand what is this functionnality.
>
> I have another problem I've seen today because I was doing
> some tests. I used the BW restiction as show before (the ipfw
> commands). But when I want to test my uploads without the pipes,
> I do a "ipfw flush" and after my upload is really slower, not
> usable... It looks like the rules are flushed (ipfw list) but
> my ftp data goes somewhere else...
>
> Any Idea ?

not on this one... sorry.

	cheers
	luigi

> David ROBERT
> (sorry for my english).

your english is ok, don't need to apologise

	luigi