Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:26:42 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vlan(4) manpage

On 2001-Jul-25 19:17:45 +0400, Yar Tikhiy <yar@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>.It Xr de 4
>requires defining
>.Dv BIG_PACKET
>in the
>.Pa /usr/src/sys/pci/if_de.c
>source file and rebuilding the kernel or the module.

According to Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>, only the later 21143
chip versions, the 21143-TD, support VLAN.  It's possible that the
BIG_PACKET code handles long packets via a back-door approach that
works on (some?) older chips.  Note that there isn't a de(4) module in
-STABLE.

>.It Xr tl 4
>may or may not work with the existing driver.

I checked and I'm running a VLAN trunk into the standard -STABLE tl
driver, so this driver didn't need any mods.

>.It Xr tx 4
>may or may not work with the existing driver.

Patches for tx support are in kern/29235 (just submitted).

>.It Xr xl 4
>works well only if the card has newer firmware
>.Pq 3c905C and above .

According to Bill Paul <wpaul@freebsd.org>, the relevant register
(MaxPktSize) exists in the 3c905B and later.  Note that these are
different chips, not just different firmware.  And `works well' isn't
really specific to the older 3c905's - all the ethernet drivers will
support VLANs with a 1496 byte MTU, this list should document those
chips/drivers that can handle a 1500 byte MTU in a VLAN trunk (ie
support long ethernet frames).

Peter