Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:19:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recent current hangs frequently for 1 to 2 seconds.

:Thanks.  I've put in the patch, but I'm still seeing the problems.  It
:seems to be related to SCSI activity (I'm currently performing a
:backup on a DLT drive, and apart from that very little disk I/O).  Any
:other ideas?  It seems to me as if the whole system freezes
:(keystrokes don't echo, for example), so possibly something is going
:into splhigh for too long.
:
:Greg

    No, this is very odd.  Certainly reading from disk should not
    cause any blockages.  But DLT & SCSI -- there are lots of possiblities
    there.  Is the DLT device sharing the same SCSI bus as the disks?  I've
    historically had bad luck with a shared arrangement and now always put
    SCSI tape units on their own SCSI bus.

    If the SCSI bus is hanging something should show up in the kernel logs
    or dmesg output.

    Another possibility is that the SCSI operation is causing a hangup or
    bringing out a bug in the networking somewhere.  A lockup for a second
    or two could be an indication of packet loss.  Haven't there been a
    couple of mbuf-related commits recently?  It would be something to look
    review, anyway.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>