Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:36:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hetzels@aol.com
To:        rkw@dataplex.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

In a message dated 97-10-08 12:22:12 EDT, rkw@dataplex.net writes:

> >>  I see some value in distinguishing between releases and interim patched
>  >>  versions. However, IMHO, "-CURRENT" and "-STABLE" should be dropped.
>  >
>  >I don't agree on dropping the names.  Keeping the names alows users to
know
>  >exactly, what they are tracking (CURRENT or STABLE).  Only, "uname -v"
> should
>  >say CURRENT, RELEASE, or STABLE, and "uname -r" will show the release
level.

>  These names are needed only because you are insisting that they be used in
>  place of the "2.2" style name.

The only one I am really institing on is the "uname -r" output to show the
correct release level.

2.2.x (199710081255)

The "uname -v" output has room to indicate what the user is tracking
(CURRENT, RELEASE, or STABLE).

Currently, a "uname -v" shows:

OS (FreeBSD)
Version (2.2)
Branch (STABLE)
Kernel Version (0)
Date the Kernel was compiled (Tue Oct 7 10:57:40 CDT 1997)
Who Made the Kernel (root@www.my.domain.net)
Location of the Kernel Compile Directory (/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC)

Which of the following would you rather have:

-----

#1)

FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Tue Oct  7 10:57:40 CDT 1997
    root@www.my.domain.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

Currently, the standard. Indicates very clearly what the user is using.

By checking with "uname -r", users will be able to view the release level for
CURRENT, RELEASE, or STABLE systems.

-----

#2)

FreeBSD 2.2.x (199710081255) #0: Tue Oct  7 10:57:40 CDT 1997
    root@www.my.domain.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

FreeBSD 3.0 (199710081255) #0: Tue Oct  7 10:57:40 CDT 1997
    root@www.my.domain.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

This would indicate a CURRENT system, as it would only use 2 digit version
numbers.

This has the problem of duplicating the function of "uname -r".  "uname -v"
should not have to show the release level.

-----

#3)

FreeBSD 2.2.x #0: Tue Oct  7 10:57:40 CDT 1997
    root@www.my.domain.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

Simplifies the "uname -v" output, but doesn't indicate to the user if it is a
RELEASE or a STABLE system up front.

FreeBSD 3.0 #0: Tue Oct  7 10:57:40 CDT 1997

#2 & #3 have the problem of determining if a user is using a STABLE or a
RELEASE system.  Now who is going to maintain a list of timestamps so that
users can check.

I would prefer #1, but number #3 has posibilities if only the difference
between a RELEASE and STABLE system could be made more apparent.  With out
having to refer to a list. Unless RELEASE is used, then we might as well
stick to using #1.

Scot