Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:02:51 -0800
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fwd from net

From: marcus@ccelab.iastate.edu (Marcus I. Ryan)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.os.386bsd.questions
Subject: Setting up a dialin terminal and PPP
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:08:33 LOCAL

PLEASE HELP ME!  I keep posting and being ignored.  I don't need hand-holding
here, I just need to be pointed to books, manual pages, FAQs, or at least told
what files I need to play with!

I've asked this twice and gotten no response.  I asked about a different
problem once before and got one response (THANK YOU! - I installed the patch
and it no longer crashes my system :)  So, if you are thinking someone else
will respond, you are very posssibly wrong, and I need to get this implemented
soon.

My current project is to, as the only person with ANY UNIX experience at all,
set up a FreeBSD 2.0R machine (done) with PPP support so that my boss and I
can call in from home with Trumpet Winsock running PPP.  I followed the PPP
FAQ that appears on the WWW page.  The modem will autoanswer, but nothing
happens.  Is it working, and I just don't know how to start it, or did I miss
something else.  I looked at the SLIP Server FAQ - it assumed that I know how
to set up a modem for dial-in access, but I don't, and can't find any
documentation on how to do it.  Where do I look?  I have a feeling from
reading newsgroups that I'm missing a whole stash of them.  The unfortunate
thing is that it looks like many of them are in the source distribution.
Unfortunately, I'm running with a very small hard drive and barely had the
resources to recompile the kernel for PPP.

Thanks to anyone willing to take a minute and respond!  Please either send me
email or post followup to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.  Thank you!!!

Marcus I. Ryan              | That makes me feel all warm and squishy.  Either
Asst SysAdmin, ISU CCE Labs | that or I sat in something - Animaniacs
134A Town Engr.             | UNIX _IS_ user friendly.  It's just selective
Iowa State University       | about who its friends are.  -unknown