Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 05:17:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Wai Chan <waichan@hpu.edu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: outgoing traffic load balancing with multiple ISP

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> This gains ISP#1 multiple paths to ISP#2 - ie: More
> Bandwidth.  Plus, it gives them a redundant backup in case their
> direct link to ISP#2 goes down.
>
> In exchange for this ISP#1 agrees to credit your bill to
> zero - in effect, you are now serving as a feed to them
> that costs them nothing.

I'm going to veto that one. I've read (alas, I'm not yet a BGP admin) that
you can prepend your own AS as a method of equilization. As this scenario
unfolds, you have two pipes which eventually diverge. You prepend your AS
to the ISP #1 route (the big upstream) so that it's advertised as two
hops, and then route normally for the other ISP (the five-year contract
one). The net result should be two equal-cost routes back to your NOC even
though it goes to two ISPs (really one).

Make sense?

-----
<kris@nospam.catonic.net>   |