Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:42:23 -0700
From:      Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perens Replies (was Ivan Leybovich)

Hi Brett,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:48:17PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> Oh, and because users can get the functionality for free, any developer
> who licenses the code from the original developer for use in a commercial
> product is paying money for something whose market value has been reduced
> to zero. Not a wise move.

What the developer is paying for is the privilege to not engage in sharing
_their_ part of the product, which, I assume, has some value to them
or they would not be developing it. I suppose you could say they are
sharing in a different way - the $$ generally go into the Open Source
product they are licensing.

> Also, remember that GPLed additions to the original code that are
> contributed by third parties are not covered by the license. So the
> licensee usually cannot get the most up-to-date code.

Yes, this is usually the case, but developers who want to have the option
to dual-license handle contributions differently. See, for example, Reiser's
filesystem work for the Linux kernel.

> Does Ms. Fiorina know that you're advocating something that both hurts HP
> and unnecessarily costs it money?

Carly and the management team are very supportive of my Linux and Open
Source activities. One reason that this is is easy for HP is because
we make hardware, which has a very clear revenue return attached to
it. Software is generally an enabler for hardware sales rather than a
goal in itself.

One of our software vendors has become so big that it thinks it can
call the shots for _our_ company, and we'd rather have the freedom to
chart our own course.  We have also suffered because that vendor doesn't
always deliver what they say they will, and we've made plans that have
failed, costing us Billions, because of that.  Thus, we pursue Linux
enthusiasticaly. With free software, we get a lot more control over the
software end.  thus a lot more freedom to chart our own course.

We have found the Linux folks to be easy to work with, and we feel
that both sides are getting a good deal from that collaboration. We are
happy to deal with BSD-licensed software. We find it's often to our own
advantage to apply the GPL to our own work, and we are happy with the
quid-pro-quo there is in working with other GPL developers.

If you are attempting to make money solely by selling software, you'd find
it a lot more difficult to pursue an Open Source business model than HP
does. I can do things within HP that Red Hat can't afford, because I have
a different way to pay for them.

> How convenient [regarding having no BSD spokesperson on "stand together"]

Remember that Larry and Guido signed, and their licensing philosophy is much
closer to the BSD camp. Well, who do you think I should ask next time? The
prerequisites are:

	Excellent name recognition.
	Experience and aptitude with press and public relations.
	They have to have put their flaming days behind them.
	Respect of the other people who are signing.

The two who come to mind are Brian and Jordan, and I have not heard from
Jordan in so long that I wonder if he's still active. I sincerely don't
believe that Theo or you are ready for this sort of role.

	Thanks

	Bruce