Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 11:35:03 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with dd

>As a backup measure, I'm using two hard drives of the same size,
>but only mounting one, and I have a cron job that dd's one to
>the other every night. The drives are 18 GB U160 SCSI, on a
>AHA-29160N. The whole process takes 45 minutes. A quick calc
>tells me it should be finished at best in 2 minutes, at peak
>rate. This is over a 20x difference.
>
>Does anyone have any idea why it's taking so long? Is it just
>dd that's the problem? The CPU is a PIII 650, and there's more
>than enough memory to go, so I don't think the CPU would be
>any kind of an impact here. Is there a better app out there
>to do the job? I'm dumping one full raw device to the other,
>not individual partitions. Could that be another problem?
>
>Thanks for any input, I'm at a complete loss here.

   You'll probably want to have "bs=64k" for best performance, but if that
doesn't speed it up enough, then the slowness is likely due to the target
drive not doing write buffering (write cache disable is 1 in mode page 8).
This will cause it to do one write per revolution.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.