Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:29:58 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Sam Nilsson <sam@servingpeace.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails for 5-Stable cvsup'd today

Hi,
   Thanks to all that responded.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Nilsson <sam@servingpeace.com>"
To: To freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 04 Dec, 2004 21:42 GMT

> Godwin Stewart wrote:
> >On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:23:22 +0000, Stacey Roberts
> ><stacey@vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
> >

> >>internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> >

> >Faulty RAM, maybe?
> >
> >A machine throwing a segfault is fairly characteristic of a CPU overheating
> >and/or of a faulty RAM stick.

The problem was indeed dodgy RAM! I swapped the RAM out for other modules, and buildworld (and the complete upgrade to Stable, as a matter of fact) completed successfully.

Strange though.., the machine I've been working on was originally running Fedora Core-3 quite happily - even recompiled a new kernel before trashing it for FreeBSD.., Go figure..,

Thanks again to everyone - onwards!

Regards,

Stacey