Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:10:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
To:        Stefan Parvu <stefan.parvu@comptel.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: top on 3.3 Rel

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding top. I have an AMD K6-333 MHz and 80MBRAM, HDD
> 4GB, and a Voodoo3 PCI 2000.
> Running XFree 3.3.5 as a X server top shows me that the SIZE for this
> process is almost 54MB and the same for RSIZE.
>
> Why is so big ? It is something wrong ?
>
> Stef

This was taken off the FAQ at http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxFAQ.html:

     Why does the Banshee X server use so much memory?

     Ps and top report the amount of memory being used by the number
     of pages mapped to your process. Because the Banshee has 16MB
     of framebuffer and 32MB of control registers the process size
     will be at least 48MB. Of course, this is using almost no RAM
     in your system since it is real memory or registers on the board.

I believe this is what is happening with the Voodoo3 as well.

-Joe