Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:09:40 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the ``stray irq 7'' is back

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 07:53:42PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 21:31 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> >
> > Gary, your motherboard is cursed.  I have one too; live with it.
> >
> > Stray IRQ 7s are _normal_.
>
> Jumping in late, but ...
>
> I know "stray irqs" from when hardware is "disabled" or you have
> hardware in the machine the OS doesn't support and thus doesn't
> register drivers or resources for.  That's when the events end up
> in the "stray" (i.e. "unexpected since not caused by me")
> handler.  Sound cards were known to cause this some five to eight
> years ago.  Some irq7 got triggered "by chance" without the lpt
> driver thinking it has done it or some such.  And I've seem
> machines with crackling sound in the speaker boxes whenever print
> jobs via lpt were executed.  It must have been some kind of cross
> over noise, maybe not enough or defective separation of
> electrical paths or something.

	After cleaning both ends of the cable, it's possible that
	one end or the other (or both) weren't reconnected
	correctly; thanks for this information.  When something as
	mundane as this suddenly quits after several years,
	I'm ready to believe anything!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix