Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 00:21:41 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Round two of the front page structure changes...

--Y+xroYBkGM9OatJL

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:06:40PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> Greetings yet again,
>=20
> Last night my brain just went in several different directions on
> how well this could turn out.  And yet, there is always that lingering
> thought of how bad this could end up if I'm not careful.  Taking a
> few comments on the list and off, as well as a few of my own ideas,
> i've crafted another patch.
>=20
> This patch is rough around the edges and not commit-ready, even
> though it does build.  My goal with this one was to throw out some
> ideas, sort of get the ball rolling.  So, honest opinions are very
> welcome here...  This patch will:
>=20
> o Break up the support area into two different types.  Multi-language
>   and English (since the site is in English anyway).  This will add
>   a link to the translated documents on the front page.  With this
>   I tried to be fair and place all the multi-language and english-only
>   options in two categories.  This may need another look-over.
>=20
> o Takes a stab at the Vendors area, without any modification.  The
>   vendors link(s) should probably go under our Software or 'Getting
>   FreeBSD' areas.  But this can be argued.
>=20
> o Adds the upcoming events link under a Community section.  It could
>   be argued that local user groups should go here in place of under
>   Support.  But a broader opinion on that would be nice...
>=20
> Comments please...  :)
>=20

I like it, but I think there are still way too many links in the
sidebar.

As you already notes, the 'Vendors' section actually belongs to the
'Software' section.  'Documentation' and 'Support' could be consolidated
into a 'Resources' section.

The 'Multi-language support' section is not needed, IMHO.  I think
people would expect documentation in a given language on the web
pages of that specific language, http://www.freebsd.org/de, for example.

Maybe we should put the links to language specific web pages in a more
prominent position (and list all available languages on the front page).

In general, we should unclutter the side bar.  IMHO, NetBSD and OpenBSD
have done a good job in this regard.  4 or 5 big subsections which
roughly categorize the links to subsection pages, which can contain all
the other stuff.

BTW, thanks for taking on this task, Tom :-)

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--Y+xroYBkGM9OatJL

--Y+xroYBkGM9OatJL--