Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:07:13 +0200
From:      "Claus Guttesen" <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        "Jo Rhett" <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tracking -stable in the enterprise

>> FWIW, Yahoo! tracks -stable branches, not point releases.
>
> I'm curious about this (and stealing the dead thread).
>
> How does one track -stable in an enterprise environment?  I assume that what
> you mean is "we pick points in -stable that we believe are stable enough and
> create a snapshot from this point that we test and roll out to production"
> ...?  Am I wrong?
>
> I mean, I guess Yahoo has enough resources to literally run every commit to
> -stable through a full test cycle and push it out to every machine, but my
> mind boggles to imagine the manpower cost of doing so.  (and to justify the
> manpower cost versus the gain from doing so...)

I only have a handfull of web-servers so I do a 'make buildworld' and
-kernel on one server and then nfs-mount it from the other servers
(remember mount-root-option if doing this). I don't have any problems
running stable if it works. So I usually just upgrade one server to
whatever stable is at that moment and if it runs without problems for
a while I upgrade the remaining servers a few days apart.

When it comes to our db-server I usually track release, but since my
web-servers and db-server is the same hardware I'm somewhat confident
that an upgrade to stable  will work if the need to do so arises.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare