Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:15:00 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 09:10:46AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > And there's the annoying localhost DNS lookup, even though host.conf
> > has "hosts" first, and the name of the machine I'm rlogin'ing into
> > is in /etc/hosts (it's myself).  It triggers the PPP dial anyway,
> > and I think that should only happen for non-local hosts.
>
> Well, why aren't you running named?  It's faster than looking up
> /etc/hosts.  And if you don't tell the world it's there, it's not
> going to get any external traffic.

:(  Running named on the end of a dial-up-demand line is bad! :(

'Tis fine until you start using the named for lookups and then it
starts opening the line itself at random moments, i.e. when it's
checking the validity of things still in its cache, etc.  That's why
I use /etc/hosts on my home machine, and resolve  using an external
name server on my work network.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser