Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:56:28 -0200
From:      "Jose Carlos da Silva" <jcds@brasmail.com.br>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with SendMail relay setup

Dear listers,

I am running SendMail 8.9.1 in a FreeBSD 2.2.7 box. I would like that this
machine to server as a mail relay server for several domains.

I've setup my MX DNS record for a test domain to point to the machine
running SendMail and I've enabled the FEATURE(relay_based_on_mx) which
makes SendMail to accept mail for domains where the MX record points to
it. With this setup, SendMail accepts messages destinated to that domain
successfully.

Once I want the messages to be forwarded to another host, I've also
enabled the FEATURE(mailertable) to define to where SendMail should
send mail for each domain. It's also working ok for my test domain.

If I try to send a message trough SendMail, using a sender address of the
test domain and a destination address of an external domain, I am
disconnected by SendMail with the message "Relaying denied".

If I add this domain name to the file "/etc/sendmail.cw", SendMail
accepts the message but forward it to a local username instead of
respecting the mailertable rules I've created.

If I add this domain name to the "/etc/mail/relay-domains" file, it
makes no difference for SendMail.

If I enable FEATURE(access_db) and add this domain name to the
"/etc/mail/access.db" file using "makemap", SendMail continues to
reject mail from this domain.

As you can see, I've also researched a lot about the problem. Now,
sendmail is successfully accepting mail for the domain and forwarding it
to the correct host. All I need is to make SendMail to RELAY mail when the
sender address is from this domain, without restricting the originating IP
address of the connection, because I cannot guarantee the network from
where my customer will try to connect to my SendMail server.

Can anybody help me, please?

Regards,

| Administrador de Rede - WebMaster - jcds@brasmail.com.br |
| ALLNET! Provedor Internet       http://www.allnet.com.br |
| Brasmail Internet Services    http://www.brasmail.com.br |
| Sao Paulo - SP - Brasil             Fone: (011)3061-0088 |
(Menstruacao e' ruim, mas o pior e' quando ela nao vem.)