Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 19:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup core dumps

I've seen a few reports that CVSup has suddenly started dumping
core on a segmentation violation under -current, but I need more
information.  For starters, I would like to know whether the static
binary (ports/net/cvsup-bin) works or not under the very latest
-current on the i386.  Could somebody please check that and report
back to the list?  I can't sacrifice my i386 -current machine to the
cause right now.

Also, for those of you who are experiencing problems:  Please state
as precisely as possible:

    - which vintage of -current are you running?
    - what is the output from "cvsup -v"?
    - is "cvsup" a static binary or is it dynamically linked?
    - did you build it, or did you simply install a binary?
    - if you built it, when did you build it?

Note, you are going to have trouble getting much out of the core dumps
from the binaries, because they're a.out.  I've placed an unstripped
ELF binary here if you'd like to help out by getting a stack trace:

    http://www.freebsd.org/~jdp/cvsup-16.0.gz

The compressed file is about 2.3 MB in size.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron