Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:06:41 -0700
From:      Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble ticket software.

I'm thinking of developing a trouble ticket system for an ISP.  I just
thought I'd check here and see if anyone knows of a solution I could use to
do this without writing it from scratch.

More often than I would like we notice a trend in problems.  When we
pinpoint it we see that we are getting calls from customers from a certain
switching office (or group of switching offices).  We call out telco (who
is not the same telco as these switches we see trouble from) and open a
ticket.  First, they fight us and say that the problems aren't
theirs.  Then, when they finally acknowledge the problem they want
information about the prefixes of the affected customers, etc.

I'd like to develop a trouble ticket system that is a little more
proactive.  I'd like to make a system that starts with the customer
call.  The person answering the phone inputs the ticket and classifies it
as, for example, a "frequent disconnect" problem.  The call gets logged
into a database.  Since we know the customers prefix we can tell which
switch they are in.

The system could break down reports about the types of customer problems
and the regions.  It could report on a sudden increase in disconnects or
low-connect-speeds above what is normal for a given switch.  Then, I could
print a list of telephone prefixes for those customers to send off to the
telco.

Finally, when the telco resolves the problem, we could give them a quick
call to give them the green light, and then close their ticket.

Also, it would be nice if this machine also parsed the radius accounting
data.  That way when a customer says something like "My connection speeds
have been low for the past 3 weeks" we can actually look and see if it
corresponds with the dates of others having trouble.

I'm interested in making a system like this, or adapting an existing system
to do this.  If anyone knows of a system like this I'd like to find
it.  Otherwise I'd really like to get your input on how to tweak this to be
useful for others.  I'm considering making it a GPL product.

-Terry Ewing
Deepwell Internet