Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:09:03 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@is.co.za>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DoS??  Or did I break something??

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is something you all know about, or if it's my own
stupidity....either way, let me explain the situation:

I have an FTP server running FreeBSD 3.1, and using the standard ftpd that
comes with BSD.  I have enabled the "-l -l" parameter in inetd, and all logs
are being put into /var/log/ftpd.log.  Those are the only modifications I
have made to the default system.

I then have my ftp directory in /var/ftp which is 40 MB, and the "pub"
directory I am mounting using mount_null .  The actual pub directory is in
/usr/ftp_pub

The problem comes when I ftp from the local machine to the machine itself.
(ie  ftp localhost).  The minute I try retrieve a file, the machine sync's
the disks with some nasty error that doesn't stay on the screen long enough
for me to catch and then just reboots with NO entries in the logs.

Has this got something to do with the mount_null command being used in a
chrooted enviroment??  This only seems to crash the machine when used from
the machine itself.  Outside machines can download with any problem.

Please mail me directly with any ideas, as I am not on this list....

Thanks,
Marc