Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:14:16 +0000
From:      Mark Magiera <mark@hyow.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any experience with "Asus A8N-SLi" or "Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI" mobos?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:00:11 -0800
"David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 11:36:49AM +0000, Mark Magiera wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:33:38 +0000
> > Mark Magiera <mark@hyow.eu.org> wrote:
> > > The thing I'm unsure about is, how well are the nforce4 chipsets
> > > supported in FreeBSD? and what about PCI-E, would one of those
> > > mobo's in combination with a PCI-E nvidia card work?
> ..
> > > Any advice would be much appreciated
> ..
> > Ok, quick update. I finally bought the mobo (Asus A8N-SLi) along
> > with a 6600GT PCI-E and while there are a few problems, they seem
> > the kind that can be ironed out over time.
> The FreeBSD interest and work on PCIe has been for storage and network
> (e.g. server) devices, not graphics.  So I have no idea how well PCIe
> (much less PCIe-SLi) is supported yet.  A donation of a nice PCIe
> graphics card to Scottl would probably help the effort along. :-)))))

Actaully, while I realise this card might not work with the accelerated
nvidia drivers, it does work with the default xorg (nv) driver which I
can live with. I'm assuming it's falling back to pci mode or something.
Tested it on a FreeSBIE 1.0 livecd (I beleive it's based on
5.2.1-release), not in 64 bit mode but I assume things will be the same
there.

My main, if not only problem is the NIC being so unreliable.

> > Basically, freebsd installs in both 32 and 64 bit mode but in both
> > cases, the network card is so unreliable that half way through a
> > cvsup (or anything else) it dies and nothing (that I know of) but a
> > reboot fixes it, this is for the "sk" device.
>
> What OS version are you running?  For the AMD64 platform you really,
> really need to be tracking RELENG_5, if not 6-CURRENT.  5.3-RELEASE is
> our first real AMD64 release and of course we're now getting 2 orders
> of magnitude more testing exposure than when it was only a few
> developers with AMD64 machines.  FreeBSD/AMD64 will get as polished
> and stable as FreeBSD/i386 over a very short time.

5.-3-RELEASE, the plan was to cvsup to at least RELENG_5 but with the
network card it's rather hard to do ;)

> If you have sk(4) problems with RELENG_5, please send a PR with
> complete details and a dmesg.boot from a verbose boot.

Ok, I'll see if I can extract any useful information but I'm thinking
this is easier said than done. The card just stops dead in the water,
with nothing useful being reported to dmesg or anywhere else.

-- Mark Magiera