Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:26:57 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tmux(1) in base

--TXv8ADjWKuT9E31y

Hi all,

At the DevSummit in Cambridge we briefly discussed including tmux(1) in
the base system. We recently had window(1) there, but unfortunately
window(1) was a very limited tool, compared to tools like screen(1) and
tmux(1). Why tmux(1) and not screen(1)? Well, simple. The first has a
better license and very active maintenance.

I was talking with the author on IRC the other day and it seemed like I
spoke with him at a fortunate moment, because he was just about to
release version 1.0. I think it would be nice to import this into HEAD,
which means FreeBSD 9.0 (maybe 8.1?) will include it by default.

How to test tmux in base:

- Download this tarball and extract it to contrib/tmux:
  http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tmux/tmux-1.0.tar.gz
- Apply the following patch:
  http://80386.nl/pub/tmux.diff

Comments?