Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2018 03:15:33 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zfskern{txg_thread_enter} thread using 100% or more CPU

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 2:30 AM, Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently on multiple systems running CURRENT, I've been seeing the
> system become unresponsive. Leaving top(1) running has lead me to
> notice that when this happens, the system is still responding to ping
> and top over ssh is still working, but no new processes can start and
> switching to other tasks doesn't work. In top, I do see pid 17,
> [zfskern{txg_thread_enter}] monopolizing both CPU usage and disk IO.
> Any ideas how to troubleshoot this? It doesn't appear to be a
> hardware issue.
Hi,

Do you have something writing to a gzip compressed dataset? You can use
the vfssnoop DTrace script from
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/sharing-of-dtrace-scripts.32855/#post-181816
to see who's writing what.

I don't remember if it was exactly txg_thread_enter or whatever, but
both CPU and disk sounds a lot like heavily compressed writes.

In my case, the Epiphany browser was downloading a large malware
database to ~/.config/epiphany/gsb-threats.db :D