Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:56:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      soneill <soneill@netaxs.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with libtcl8.3 on FBSD 5.1

On 4 Oct 2003, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> soneill <soneill@netaxs.com> writes:
>
> > I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.1 on my Athlon-based machine, and most
> > everything seems to be working ok. However, I have a problem trying to run
> > any s/w that uses the Tcl library libtcl8.3.so.1. Whenver I run such a
> > program, including wish8.3, tkdesk, tkman and others, I get the following
> > error message:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libtcl83.so.1: Undefined \
> > symbol "__xuname"
> >
> > I have no idea why I would have such an undefined symbol in an officially
> > ported FBSD package. Can anyone give me some insight into this problem, and
> > a possible solution? TIA for any help you can give me.
>
> Best guess would be that you installed from packages rather than
> ports, and the packages were in some way mismatched.  Installing
> software from ports avoids this risk, but with packages you should be
> able to get them all from one place and have it work.

I thought that might be the problem, too, so I uninstalled the package, then
built the port of tcl8.3. It didn't make any difference; the libtcl8.3
library still had the undefined symbol.

There's something odder happening here; a check inside the libraries for
tcl8.0, 8.2, and 8.4 all show that "__xuname" is a symbol in all of them.
Since it doesn't seem to be defined anywhere, I'm stumped as to how to
proceed to get around this problem. Is anyone else having this problem
running tcl/tk programs of _any_ recent vintage?

Steve O'Neill