Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:30:29 -0700
From:      kstewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Subject:   Re: is there an 'open-source' RealPlayer?

On Saturday 04 September 2004 12:17 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 01:27:45PM -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 10:52:55 +0200
> >
> > Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org> wrote:
> > > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:25:38 -0700
> > > Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi,

> > > IIRC mencoder (which is part of mplayer) can do that. There's also
> > > this new project from Real called Helix (
> > > https://helixcommunity.org/ ). I know somebody is already working on
> > > a port. You can still use the closed source linux version of Real
> > > Player as well, but only for replay, no transcode AFAIK. I'd give
> > > mencoder a try, I've used it in the past to convert between video
> > > formats and it works very well.
> >
> > AFAIK the closed source one from real is no longer fetchable...
> >
> > But mplayer handles nearly all real files properly, so I don't see a
> > problem with using it. The only problem I have ran into is using
> > mplayer with some old episodes of Daria I have on disk in which the
> > audio gets horridly out of sync. But other than those few, it has all
> > ways worked nicely.
>
>  Sounding more hopeful.  Can you please post your mplayer
>  configuration?  Or give me some hints on howto replace
>  realplay with mplayer with mozilla?  It would be nice to
>  have FBSD versions of every tool, plug-in or otherwise.
>  (Be nice to have Java plugins for mozilla, but Sun has
>  its corporate head up where the sun don' shine... *sigh*)

What java plugin are you talking about?

I have a volcano in M=E9xico called Popocat=E9petl that I follow and I need=
 a=20
javavm plugin setup for mozilla.The page used to work with mozilla and not=
=20
konqueror but now it works with konqueror and not mozilla.

 RealPlayer8 work with both of them but works much better with mozilla. I g=
ot=20
irritated with my setup while I was typing this and fixed konqueror so that=
=20
it would default to realplay on *.ram files.

Kent

> > BTW for doing audio dumps of streams, mplayer works nicely. You can
> > just dump to pcm using  -ao pcm. Not really sure how to directly get
> > it to dump to a mp3 file... AFAIK it will dump to a avi with no video
> > and just a audio stream for doing audio only?
>
>  What I would like to do it create either a CLI script or
>  tk/tcl GUI app to record "some_stream" at Begintime until
>  Endtime. Output to /usr/local/tmp.  Most online streams
>  like from NPR and BBC are archived, but not all.
>
>  gary

=2D-=20
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA