Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 21:54:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, keramida@freebsd.org
Cc:        missive@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /"

Everyone,

  If I'm remembering correctly - the historical way to
 do this is to alias the "rm" command to something that
 else that checks the arguments and complains appropriately
 (and then executes /bin/rm.)   Typically with just a shell
 alias.  That keeps you from accidently doing something.

  Just thinking that putting extra "smarts" into a utility
 isn't the typical "UNIXy" way to do this.  Let each tool
 do the one thing it does really well.. 'rm' removes; let
 it remove.

  I think, in the old "UNIX Review" magazine (what - almost
 15+ years ago now?)  There was a couple of examples of this.

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com