Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:23:52 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Jason J. W. Williams" <jasonjwwilliams@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS behavior when device disappears

--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:24:53AM -0600, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Hi Pawel,
>=20
> Thank you very much for the response! Please forgive some of my
> questions, as I'm a bit unfamiliar with the FreeBSD port.
>=20
> What is the nature of the port? Is it something where each new version
> of ZFS is a from-scratch effort to some degree? Or is it a point where
> new ZFS versions are a matter of just making the newer features
> operational?

Definitely the latter, but there some problems:

- Some changes in OpenSolaris ZFS are very hard to port in short time,
  and when it takes a lot of time, new versions arrive and it is nice to
  get them too, etc. which makes whole process to take long time.

  Good example here is moving some functionality to Python, where we
  have to decided what to do about that without importing Python to the
  base system.

- OpenSolaris ZFS is experimental and I don't think Solaris version is
  published anywhere. This means it needs extensive testing on our side,
  which of course takes time.

- OpenSolaris changes are often not easy to understand. They have
  different commit rules than we have. Commit logs are not very helpful
  and multiple fixes are committed in one go, which makes it hard to
  separate individual changes if we just need a fix and not intrusive
  change that came along.

I'm doing my best, but my time is limited. I see more and more people
are interested in helping with ZFS, which is a very good sign I was
waiting for for a long time:)

It is of course still wonderful that we can use ZFS. All my servers and
my laptop are running exclusively on ZFS at this point:)

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v

--9crTWz/Z+Zyzu20v--