Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:47:33 -0500
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OT: Is the beastie masculine or feminine? (Was: Re: The BSD daemon)

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:57:19PM +0100 Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> wrote:
> dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
>  > But in English, "his" does not denote gender, unless indicated
>  > otherwise by context (whereas "her" always indicates gender).
>
> I think you're wrong.  I learned at school:  "his" == male,
> "her" == female, "its" == neuter.  When you don't know the
> gender of a person, you simply write "his or her".

There is a gender known as "common gender" that can be used for
instances where masculinity or femininity is either unknown or
unimportant.  For example, "The reader may trust his
imagination."  A reader may be a man or a woman, yet
historically, "his" covered both bases.

Old English used to be "inflected", meaning, partly, that noun
suffixes indicated person, gender, number, and case.  Today,
English no longer is inflected, and rarely is a noun masculine,
feminine or neuter now.  (Exceptions are ram, ewe, man, woman,
father, mother, son, daughter, and so on.)  But pronouns are
still troublesome.  Common gender pronouns have historically been
biased toward the masculine gender.

This gender bias implicit in our language has brought no end of
criticism from feminists and those who decry sexism.  So new
usages have gained popularity, such as "The reader may trust his
or her imagination."  Even "The reader may trust his/r
imagination" or "When the student finishes the exam, s/he shall
place it on the teacher's desk."  Other curious inventions have
appeared in order to avoid offense.  I'm not sure anyone has
closed the book on these trouble spots in the language.  It's a
minefield no matter which side you start from.

Some vestigial examples of gender still exist, which we
inexplicably can't seem to let go of:  "The ship sailed gracfully
into her slip."  "The moon shed her light."  "America defended
her liberty."

> At least that's how you should do it in order to be
> respectful and "politically correct".

Here's where different standards of usage appear.  You might say
to a coworker, "A manager must be honest in his or her conduct."
But, if you were talking to your biker buddies, you might say, "A
biker should park his hog where ever he wants," when in truth,
Harley-Davidson ranks have swelled with woman riders.  Or, "A
hacker needs to comment his code."  You'd better look around the
room before you finish that sentence.  In short, you follow
different standards of usage based on audience and on how
accountable you have to be.

Ah, what a pleasant diversion...  :-)

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net