Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:03:50 +1200
From:      Tom Munro Glass <gentoo@tmgcon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie needs advice for software raid

I'm considering buying a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with 3 SCSI drives (no hardw=
are=20
raid) for use as a file, print, database, email/groupware and intranet=20
server. I'm also considering whether to use Linux or FreeBSD - I have some=
=20
experience with both but have never used software raid on either. I feel th=
at=20
=46reeBSD would be a more stable and secure OS for a server.

=46rom my research so far, it seems that I can use Vinum to set up software=
 RAID=20
5, but that the root partition can not be RAID 5 and that there are other=20
complexities with using Vinum on the root partition.

I would welcome suggestions for how to set up the disk partitions and Vinum=
=20
for this type of server. Also, should I be looking at FreeBSD 5.1 or would=
=20
4.8 be a safer bet at this stage?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Munro Glass