Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 10:39:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (was: Who needs Perl? We do!)

(Moved to -chat)

Terry Lambert writes:
>>> FWIW:
>>>
>>> Our company just bought a bunch of Micron machines.  They are all SCSI,
>>> and they were not special order.
>>
>> I'm assuming they were part of the "high-end" line at Micron -- I just
>> checked their ads and they ship SCSI on the high-end line. THis makes
>> sense.. but the point is that anyone buying the best in a PC _should_ know
>> the advantages of SCSI, and will probably request SCSI if the machine
>> doesn't ship with SCSI by default. Still, most people (I'd best 90% of
>> PC's sold today) are shipped with ATAPI CDROMS -- and EIDE hard drives.
>> When I was saying ALL, I meant damn near ALL...
>
> My only point was that this is apparently changing... and basing
> a decision on "this is the way it always has been, so this is the
> way it will always be" is a bad idea in general, and seems to be
> becoming false in this particular case.  Assuming the Micron change
> from ATAPI to SCSI on their high end represents a trend.

Yes, I've seen other indications of this.  It might mark a trend
towards maturity in the market: even Micosloth users are gradually
asking why this expensive "operating system" keeps crashing, and
people with multimedia applications probably wonder why programs
sometimes hang for half a second before continuing.  The German trade
magazines (not necessarily reliable) claim that there's a trend
towards SCSI, too.

Greg