Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Alex Weeks <Alex_Weeks@capitalland.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Best Checkups (UPS)

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> > > Anyone using Best's Fortress UPS and Checkups software with FreeBSD?
> >
> > Make sure you're trying to build for a BSD environment.  We may need to
> > port this; is the code publicly available?
>
> The fortress comes with three versions of the software.  Basic for SVR5,
> Advanced for SVR4, and Basic for BSD.  The Basic software does little more
> than shut down the computer, and the advanced version has options for
> monitoring battery condition, etc.
>
> The basic version for BSD (checkups.bsd) once renamed to checkups.c,
> compiles with one warning with the command "cc checkups.c -lcompat" on my
> 2.2.2 system, though I haven't actually tried running it yet.  The
> comments say that it works for SunOS/Solaris.

Is there any copyright in the file?

> And unfortunately, the program is considered proprietary, so I don't think
> we could roll a port.

If the code is OK to distribute then we shouldn't have a problem.

I don't know why UPS manufacturers are so touchy about their control
protocol.  Anyone with a line monitor and the software can hack the
protocol in a matter of minutes.  If they got together and defined a
standard protocol, it'd take a lot of the mystery out of UPS control.

These people have something to learn from Connectix regarding
``proprietary'' systems.