Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:28:54 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

At 10:10 AM 1/19/2001, Brad Knowles wrote:

>        Right, everyone who opposes or disagrees with Brett is inherently evil.  I think we've heard this somewhere before.

Yes. It's a statement commonly used to brand someone you are attacking
as "delusional" (as you do later in your message).

[Snip]

>        My personal reason for opposing you most of the time is that I find you an excessively annoying and tedious person to deal with,

I'm terribly sorry if you find it "annoying and tedious" that I will
not sit idly by while others attack me. I think it's my right to respond.

[Snip]

>        And with that, I think I'm about ready to killfile you, too.  I believe that I am a rather tolerant person, and I've only ever killfiled two other people in my whole life with Unix (dating back to 1984), but there's only so much from you that even I am willing to put up with.

Another common element of the piling-on and shunning that occurs
frequently here: a dramatic declration that the attacker is adding the
person being attacked to his kill file (and an implicit request to others
to do likewise).

>        The worst of it is, in this particular case I think you have a valid point about there being a certain atmosphere of hazing with regards to the FreeBSD project -- maybe not from the committers themselves, but certainly by other people who are on the mailing lists and presumably have been on the mailing lists for some time.

And yet you're not introspective enough to recognize that you're
participating in it.

>Sadly, this point has now gotten lost in the noise that you have generated about yourself.

Funny: looking back at this thread, it looks more as if you and a few others
have been generating noise about me. When I entered the conversation, I
merely agreed with a previous poster that the FreeBSD community had problems
with hazing and shunning. It's ironic that the exchange has become
self-referential. Add me to your kill file (which, of course, you're free
to do), and you'll prove that you're part of the same phenomenon.

--Brett