Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:00:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum performance

Hi,

I currently have access to a bunch of disks and a fat machine so I took
the chance and performed some vinum benchmarks. You can find the results
at <http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/bonnie.html>.

I created several RAID 0 and RAID 5 volumes with different stripe sizes
and let bonnie++ run over the filesystems. I was quite disappointed about
the RAID 5 performance, and even the RAID 0 performance wasn't too good
(a plain single disk filesystem was almost as fast as or even faster than
a RAID 0 stripe, and I wouldn't expect that).

RAID 5 performance was really a mess, some of the test took more than
30min. to complete.

Anyone has an idea what's going wrong here? (Apart from me doing bullsh*t
benchmarking :-) .)

Please keep me cc'ed.

best regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/