Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:59:29 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Top-level domains

Brad Knowles wrote:
[ ... ]

>         I know that there are some people in the Netherlands that were
> very, very early onto the 'net (quite probably in the very early
> 80's, before the DNS existed), and they should be able to shed some
> more light on this issue.

Talking to people who were actually there would be a good idea.

[ ... ]

Here are some good historical references to X.400 mail, OSI, and
Europe:

http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/staff/dwc/Version.Web/Chapter.1/Chapter1.htm
(1994 D. Chadwick)

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1160.txt
(1990 Vinton Cerf)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/setup/unix/part1/
(1991-1998 Chris Lewis)

Here are some other interesting historical references:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/step/internet/intro2.pdf
http://standards.edna.edu.au/reports/scopeattb.pdf
http://www.w3.org/People/howcome/p/telektronikk-4-93/Dybvik_P_E.html
http://www.house.gov/science/landweber_9-10.html
http://www.wia.org/ISOC/itu_mission.htm
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/imr/imr9306.txt
http://www.ifi.uio.no/~oleha/Publications/bok.b.html
http://www.traxon.de/brochures/icm_5.1_dec00.pdf
http://www.infosociety.gr/infosoc/policies/tele/docs/testa.pdf

Ah... here is a canonical reference to the use of X.400 and OSI,
in European email systems:

http://www.hypermail.org/rfcs/rfc1506.html
(1993 J. Houttuin, Reseaux Associes pour la Recherche Europeenne Secretariat)

Obviously, you should know how to use search engines, too, if
you need more references.

As an incredibly amusing aside, this historical document talks
about X.400 in a really derogatory fashion (it shows the US/Europe
battle lines being drawn, but it also has a cute section:

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/archives/back.issues/1992.volume.12/vol12.iss801-850

	"Senator Albert Gore from Tennesee has repeatedly sponsored
	 legislation that will eventually turn the major research
	 networks sponsored by the U.S. government into a "National
	 Data Highway System". I expect that this will be a
	 cornerstone in a Clinton/Gore industrial policy program.
	 Once the "acceptable use policy" restrictions are lifted
	 from the NREN backbone, RFC822 mail will truly be the
	 lingua franca of public and private electronic mail systems
	 from FIDOnet to UUCP mail."

Unfortunately, there aren't a hell of a lot of records from 1988
and 1989, which is when I was tasked with implementing serial
communications software for use in accessing X.400 email systems,
and network terminal GOSIP support for the U.S. OSI initiative
utilizing Intel "OpenNet" protocol stacks on Prime, Unisys, SCO,
and other systems (anyone else remember NVT or FTAM?).

-- Terry