Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 19:54:28 -0400
From:      "akanwar@digitarchy.com" <akanwar@digitarchy.com>
To:        sreekanth@redlinenetworks.com, mvsjetti@hss.hns.com, pete@he.iki.fi, ru@freebsd.org, freebsdnic@mailbox.cps.intel.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, akanwar@digitarchy.com
Subject:   RE: gratuitous ARP with em interface.

Thanks all for you replies=2E

> I haven't tried this, but I think the problem would go away if you
> changed WAIT_FOR_AUTO_NEG_DEFAULT to 0 in "if_em=2Eh"=2E

Changed this=2E Did not work=2E=20

> If u can do kernel debugging put break point at the=20
> "arp_ifinit" and verify if this was getting called or=20
> not=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E=2E cheers, mahesh=

Will try this=2E

> Could be attributed to the spanning tree in the switch=2EI have=20
> seen it happening(especially with cisco switches)=2EI bet you=20
> are not able to send out any packet(Not just Garp)=2E

No=2E Spanning tree is turned off (Tried it with both IOS and Catalyst
switches)=2E

>  I haven't looked that deep into why, but em is quite slow=20
> on coming up  compared to fxp for example=2E Probably something to do wi=
th=20
> hardware re-initialization=2E

Correct, there is a delay=2E "ifconfig em0 inet x=2Ex=2Ex=2Ex/y" takes a f=
ew
seconds to complete whereas "ifconfig fxp0 inet x=2Ex=2Ex=2Ex/y" returns
instantly=2E

Is there a way to force gratituous arp ? ( Short of writing a raw socket
utility)

Thanks,
-ansh

http://mail2web=2Ecom/ =2E